Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Appropriate Use Policy
Core Data Service Appropriate Use Policy—for Participants
Appropriate use policies establish how the identified data must be protected by CDS participants, as well as how EDUCAUSE may use the data to communicate the state of IT and to enhance services to its diverse membership. All CDS Managers, Authors, and Reviewers are expected to read and comply with the CDS Appropriate Use Policy (AUP) for participants. A fundamental tenet of the participant AUP is that access to identified data is limited to survey participants. In addition, advance approval from EDUCAUSE is required for use of any CDS data, even aggregated data, in public presentations or publications.
EDUCAUSE offers participation in our Core Data Service (CDS) to the association's institutional members (and to institutional non-members upon request and approval) as a community service. Through CDS, EDUCAUSE provides to participants a repository of data about institutions and their information technology environments and practices; a set of annual surveys by which institutions—both campuses and multi-campus systems—can update their data; and an interactive system by which participating institutions can retrieve data about other institutions of interest.
Access to CDS is conditioned on users' (both individuals and the institutions they represent) acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of Use (see below). The EDUCAUSE primary representative or designated CDS manager must accept the Appropriate Use Policy (AUP) on behalf of the institution or system office before data entry can begin. By accessing CDS, users will be deemed to have agreed to these terms and conditions. (Separate terms and conditions apply to use of CDS by EDUCAUSE. Please see Core Data Service Appropriate Use Policy—for EDUCAUSE, below, for more details. Note that the CDS AUP for EDUCAUSE allows for the association to establish collaborative relationships with other organizations around the sharing and use of CDS data in the best interest of the community. If you have any questions about this or either AUP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Data contributed to the Core Data Service by a participating institution remain the property of that institution. EDUCAUSE otherwise owns the copyright to the contents of the Core Data Service database, survey, and website. To protect data confidentiality on behalf of contributors, users may only use the contents of the Core Data Service as set forth in this Core Data Service Appropriate Use Policy.
Terms and Conditions of Use
- I affirm that I have been authorized by my institution to use the Core Data Service, that I have accessed CDS via my unique credentials, and that I will not share these credentials.
- I will limit disclosure and use of data obtained from CDS to those in my institution with formal responsibilities related to the use of such data (e.g., executive, budget, and planning officers, IT oversight committees, and senior staff of cognizant IT organizations). This limitation applies to both institutionally identifiable and aggregated data.
- I will store and provide data access, as appropriate, in a secure manner.
- I will not share or make public any CDS data about other institutions beyond my institution unless I have received prior approval from EDUCAUSE to do so. I understand that permission from EDUCAUSE is required prior to my using any data—even in aggregated form—in professional publications, public documents, or presentations beyond my institution.
- If I am employed by a corporation but working on a campus through a consulting, outsource, or partnership arrangement, I will not share any data with the corporation.
- As an exception, for the purposes of reaccreditation, peer review, or similar studies being conducted on behalf of my institution, I am permitted to provide data from CDS to reviewers not affiliated with my institution, so long as a copy of this Policy accompanies the data provision and is understood to govern the use made of the data.
Core Data Service Appropriate Use Policy—for EDUCAUSE
The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) was conceived as a community service offered to member institutions (and others upon request and approval). Institutional access to CDS is conditioned on users' (both individuals and the institutions they represent) acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of Use contained in Core Data Service Appropriate Use Policy—for Participants, above.
CDS, including its database and interactive retrieval system, is also a valuable tool for EDUCAUSE—to better understand the diversity of its membership and their uses of information technology (IT); to develop and target the organization’s programs; and to advocate for effective use of IT in higher education. In using CDS, EDUCAUSE needs to maintain the trust of participants in order to achieve high response rates and gather quality data. Accordingly, EDUCAUSE has established the following policy to govern the access and use of CDS by its staff members and consultants contracted to work on behalf of the association and its membership.
Data contributed to the Core Data Service by a participating institution remains the property of that institution. EDUCAUSE otherwise owns the copyright in the contents of the Core Data Service database, survey, and website. To protect data confidentiality on behalf of contributors, EDUCAUSE, its staff, and any contractors working on its behalf will follow the guidelines set forth in this policy in accessing and using the contents of the Core Data Service.
Terms and Conditions of Use
- Staff and others contracted to work on behalf of the association who use CDS (i.e., EDUCAUSE users) will only access and use the Core Data Service as authorized by EDUCAUSE, utilizing individually unique credentials that they may not share.
- EDUCAUSE users will limit disclosure and use of data obtained from CDS to EDUCAUSE staff and consultants with formal responsibilities related to the use of such data. This limitation applies to both institutionally identifiable and aggregated data.
- EDUCAUSE and its staff or relevant contractors will store CDS data and provide access to it, as appropriate, in a secure manner.
- Should authorized EDUCAUSE users of CDS find that the best interests of the EDUCAUSE membership would be appropriately served by using institutionally-identifiable survey data obtained from CDS in professional publications, public documents, or public presentations, they will request permission from the president of EDUCAUSE as well as the relevant institution(s) prior to doing so and abide by any terms specified for such use.
- As the provider of the Core Data Service and an organization that exists to serve the best interests of its membership and higher education, EDUCAUSE reserves the right to use aggregated survey data obtained from CDS in professional publications, public documents, public presentations, or other forms or forums that serve its members’ needs and interests as approved by the president of EDUCAUSE, so long as that data has been sufficiently aggregated to prevent re- identification of participating institutions.
- EDUCAUSE also reserves the right to establish other data services, both stand-alone and collaborative, involving CDS data when such services would best advance the goals of the CDS and the overall interests of the EDUCAUSE community. Such services are subject to the approval of the EDUCAUSE president and will be pursued with the utmost sensitivity to the security and confidentiality principles inherent in this policy.