Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "IT Governance" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Risk Management
- IT Security Information - IT Risk Management
January 11, 2008
The CU-Boulder IT Security Office has developed a risk management framework and risk assessment service to meet campus needs in identifying and mitigating IT related risk. The risk management fra…
- Risk Management and Cyber Insurance
October 7, 2007
The Internet has radically changed the way business (work and personal) is carried out. However, vulnerabilities are pervasive resulting in exposure of organizations and firms to a wide array of …
- Information Technology Sector Baseline Risk Assessment
August 28, 2009
The IT Sector Baseline Risk Assessment evaluates risk to the IT Sector and focuses on critical IT Sector functions. The assessment methodology is not intended to be guidance for individual entiti…
- Information Security from the Ground Up
July 8, 2009
In 2005 the University of Notre Dame suffered a serious incident that brought information security into the campus spotlight. In response, we partnered with a Big Four consulting firm to conduct …
- Securing Institutional Data: Let’s Make It Everyone’s Business
May 5, 2009
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the costs of preventing data loss in terms of people, processes, and technology. It focuses on principles to guide decision making in higher education and …
- Square One: A Prescription for Operational Excellence
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Are you concerned about your IT organization's credibility slipping due to service-impacting events? This session will provide you with a specific plan to address availability issues at your…
- Taking a critical look at common support scenarios for open source software
November 15, 2008
Deciding whether to go with a particular open source product is an exercise in risk management: understanding the risks of your possible actions and choices, calculating when a certain level of r…
- Compliance Assessment Template
September 24, 2008
This sample Harvard University questionnaire is designed to assist people in understanding if the setup and operation of their systems are in compliance with the Harvard Enterprise Information …
- Information Technology Security Risk Management (ITS-RM) Program
December 12, 2008
This is the University of Virginia's ITC’s Information Technology Security Risk Management (ITS-RM) Program, which is intended to provide University departments with the information and to…
- Hazards and Hurricanes: Hallmarks of IT Readiness, Response, and Recovery
October 14, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin provides five hallmarks for IT readiness, response, and recovery in the face of a devastating natural disaster. It is based on an ECAR interview with the deputy CIO of…