Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Risk Management" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for IT Governance
- IT Governance
IT Governance True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Comp…
- Hoisted by My Own Petard
July 16, 2014
This will be my final post in the “Got a Minute?” blog series: I am wrapping up my time as EDUCAUSE Presidential Fellow. I’ll spare everyone (including me!) the long goodbye; it has been …
- IT Restructuring: Challenges and Opportunities
July 14, 2014
Key Takeaways Driven by factors ranging from decreased financial support to changes in technology , IT restructuring is on the rise in higher education. Restructuri…
- The CIO Pipeline, Part 3: Being Strategic about Plumbing
June 11, 2014
This is the final entry in a three-post series related to the CIO Pipeline Challenge. Part 1 raised the potential of a “fracturing” of the CIO role into component parts (strateg…
- Supporting Information Governance through Records and Information Management
April 8, 2014
The expanding scope of IT initiatives in higher education institutions now goes well beyond basic desktop and enterprise applications. IT is often asked to focus on efforts to establish…
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education
March 18, 2014
Key Findings Formal enterprise or IT risk management and compliance programs are the exception rather than the rule. More common are informal processes and procedures for dealing with r…
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective
April 21, 2014
Although faculty and students are the primary learning management system users, administrators and IT experts often select the system. This article stresses the importance of involving all sta…
- 2013 CDS Executive Summary Report
February 18, 2014
The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) provides higher education CIOs and senior IT leaders with the benchmarks they need to make strategic decisions about IT at their institutions. Each ye…
- A Model for Project Prioritization in Higher Education Information Technology
February 24, 2014
Key Takeaways Organizations that achieve higher maturity in IT project portfolio management consistently show both increased performance and tighter alignment between IT and …
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row: Governance, Risk, and Compliance
December 6, 2013
Diana G. Oblinger is President and CEO of EDUCAUSE. Information technology is critical to higher education. But unless aligned with the institution's goals and based on sound p…