Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (35)
- Blogs (32)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (104)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (1)
- Effective Practices (5)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (8)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (4)
- Presentations and Seminars (473)
- Programs and Projects (2)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (3)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cybersecurity [x]
- Authentication (231)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (173)
- Network Applications (124)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (120)
- Middleware (119)
- Authorization (115)
- Policy and Law (111)
- Information Systems and Services (79)
- Shibboleth (74)
- Federal Policy and Law (69)
- Single Sign On (SSO) (60)
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by and .
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Boston University Data Protection Standards
March 21, 2014
Boston University Data Protection Standards were created with the input and approval of the Information Security and Business Continuity Governance Committee and are intended to help the Unive…
- ED OIG Drops Tech Fixes for Identity Verification in Latest Report
March 21, 2014
Summary: In its latest report on financial aid fraud in distance education, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) dropped previously proposed technology-…
- Higher Education's Top-Ten Strategic Technologies in 2014
February 12, 2014
Key Findings Analytics dominates the list, with four of the 10 technologies. Institutions are focusing on both learning and administrative analytics. Mobile apps are also prominent, wit…
- Identity and Access Management
Identity and Access Management True Identity management r…
- Federated Identity Management
Federated Identity Management True Identity management re…
- Policy at EDUCAUSE 2013
October 30, 2013
Federal and campus-level policy issues impacting IT in higher education were hot topics at EDUCAUSE 2013. The Security Privacy, and Compliance and Data/Information Access and Manage…
- Electronic Identity: The Foundation for the Connected Age
October 7, 2013
Ann West (firstname.lastname@example.org) is Assistant Director for InCommon Assurance and Community, Internet2. Mary Dunker (email@example.com) is Director of Secure Enterprise Technology Initiatives …
- Creating the IT Architecture for the Connected Age
August 1, 2013
Beyond MOOCs: Is IT Creating a New, Connected Age? A 3 Day Sprint - August 1st, 2013 The last day of the EDUCAUSE Sprint 2013 features Tracy Futhey, vice president for informatio…
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program
May 7, 2013
The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program (or to address gaps in their current offerings) including: Providing a structure o…
- IdM: Building Walls while Breaking Down Barriers
March 25, 2014
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Do you think implementing an institution-wide identity management program has to be painful? If so, you are wrong! Learn from two members of the University at Albany's Identity Management te…