Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Hire Education: Mastery, Modularization, and the Workforce Revolution
July 21, 2014
This book illuminates the great disruptive potential of online competency- based education. Workforce training, competency-based learning, and online learning are clearly not new phenomena, but o…
- Technology and Work
August 22, 2014
Diana Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the third in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all IT se…
- Top 10 Blogs about Postsecondary Next Gen Learning
August 15, 2014
What blogs do you read and rely on to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in – or speculations about – next generation learning? My NGLC colleague Stefanie Blouin surveyed the K-12 c…
- Design Thinking and Business Models in Higher Education
July 28, 2014
A large crowd formed in the center of the ballroom. Institutional leaders were cheering for their teammates. Intense energy and excitement permeated the room. The final round of Rock, Paper, S…
- Steven Mintz: Three Radical Innovations by 2015
July 23, 2014
In this interview, Steven Mintz mentions three innovations that he believes will transform modern higher education. ero-mintz.mp3 …
- What will be the next wave of classroom technology?
July 14, 2014
By Jonathan Blake Huer, Director of Emerging Technologies, Ball State University At orientation this past week, I was talking with an incoming freshman and her family about an app we’r…
- Future Slant: Analytics
June 11, 2014
Diana Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the second in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all …
- Failure is Not an Option; Sometimes, It's Necessary
May 8, 2014
Design Thinking and Breakthrough Change Last month when I brought up the topic of design thinking , I focused on its human-centered nature and its emphasis on iteration over perfect…
- Future of Higher Education
Future of Higher Education True Higher education's p…
- Interview: Barron Koralesky, EDUCAUSE Award Winner
January 24, 2014
Jennifer Sparrow interviews fellow EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award winner, Barron Koralesky. Koralesky is associate director of information technology services at Macalester College. …